Data protection and privacy lawyers
Data protection and privacy law is a complex and fast-changing area with international differences adding an extra layer of complexity. Led by intellectual property/technology lawyers, our commercial team help businesses of all sizes, across various sectors, to use and exploit data while remaining compliant with data protection legislation.
We can advise you on:
- Data Protection Act 1998
- Compliance with upcoming General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Sale and purchase of databases
- Database rights and management
- Licensing databases
- Privacy policies and data protection statements on websites or marketing materials
- Use of personal data for marketing and advertising
- Personal data issues arising in employment matters
- Data subject access requests and the application and impact of the Freedom of Information Act
- The transfer of personal data outside of the EEA
- Data security
- Application and impact of UK and EU data protection laws
- Confidentiality agreements.
We believe that in-depth understanding of the industry, the commercial conditions under which you operate and your strategic objectives are vital when providing effective legal advice on data protection. Our service reflects your business objectives, minimises the risks, and enables you to operate cost-effectively and remain compliant.
Our lawyers provide you with a robust and commercial appropriate framework designed to exploit your assets, protect your rights and prevent disputes arising. We take a hands-on approach to giving practical advice, which enables our clients to operate effectively on a day-today basis.
Where there are international issues, we can call upon our international network of partner firms to help steer you through the many local differences that complicate data protection worldwide.