Compensation claims for acquired and traumatic brain injury (ABI and TBI)
A brain injury can have a major long-term impact on the life of the sufferer and often on his or her friends and family. Ensuring the right amount of compensation is paid can give someone access to the support they need throughout their lives and ease the care load for loved ones.
Compensation plays an important part in the recovery process since it can enable better treatment and more rehabilitation than would be available on the NHS. Rehabilitation may not reverse the effects of a brain injury but it can increase recovery and be used to find coping strategies to lessen the impact of ongoing symptoms.
What compensation can you claim for a brain injury?
- Compensation can be due for physical or psychological damage or both.
- You can claim compensation for the pain and suffering caused by your injuries and the things you need as a result of your brain injury.
- You can also claim compensation for financial loss. For example, for loss of earnings.
- You can do this on a no win no fee basis so there is no risk attached.
The amount of compensation you get depends on:
- the seriousness of your brain injury
- the extent of financial loss
- the support you will need in the future.
As well as the compensation that can be recovered at the conclusion of the personal injury claim, money can be requested during the course of the claim to fund rehabilitation.
Getting specialist legal support for brain injury
The symptoms of acquired brain injury are unique to each individual. They can include problems with memory, concentration, speech, mobility, and personality and behavioural changes. A range of specialist medics is needed to properly assess the injuries for the purposes of the claim.
This kind of compensation claim is complex and requires a personal injury solicitor with specialist experience in the area of brain injuries and an understanding of the ongoing implications for people’s lives.
How our personal injury solicitors can help with brain injury compensation claims
- Our team has many years experience and specialist knowledge pursuing claims for adults and children who have suffered brain injuries.
- The breadth of experience in our personal injury team means it is likely that we have already succeeded in recovering compensation in similar circumstances to yours.
- We actively support and are on the approved lawyer lists of Headway (the national charity for adults with brain injury) and the Child Brain Injury Trust.
- We are approved UKABIF lawyers. Many of our lawyers are involved in KABIF (Kent Acquired Brain Injury Forum), a regional group of UKABIF.
- We work in a supportive, considered and clear way, and are dedicated to achieving the best possible outcome to secure our clients’ long-term welfare.
- We can help you with applications to the Court of Protection for appointing a Deputy to manage the money of someone who has suffered brain injury or for setting up a personal injury trust.
Free initial consultation
Call us to arrange a free initial consultation at a location that suits you. We will give you clear advice on whether you have a claim for compensation for brain injury.
If we believe you have a case, we can act for you on a no win no fee basis.
Call us or fill in our short enquiry form and we will assess your brain injury compensation claim.