Specialisms and expertise
- Acting for developers buying land for development including conditional contracts, options, promotion agreements and site assemblies.
- Non-contentious Town & Country Planning including negotiation of section 106 Agreements and Unilateral Undertakings.
- Planning appeals.
- Advising landowners on promoting land for development.
- Advising landowners on disposal of land for development, including negotiating contracts/options with developers.
- Participation agreements and joint venture agreements.
- Acquisition and disposal of sporting rights.
- Agricultural property.
Past and present projects
- Acquisition of various brownfield sites for a local authority as part of an urban regeneration scheme.
- Disposals for various schools of surplus land for residential development to fund new school projects.
- The creation of a military museum as part of the regeneration of Woolwich Arsenal.
- Disposing of a large Docklands commercial site for residential redevelopment.
- The disposal for off-shore investors of a major residential site in the south of England on a phased basis.
- Redevelopment and disposal of a commercial centre in the Medway area.
- The development and disposal of various country mansions as apartments.
- Sale of a major part of the land required for the Eastern Expansion Area for Milton Keynes for mixed development.
- The disposal of a famous West Country sporting estate.
- Disposal of a large redundant NHS site for residential development.
Types of client
Current clients include leading regional housebuilders, schools, a major charity, farmers, farming companies and landed estates.
Achievements and other appointments
Gilbert is recognised by both Chambers and The Legal 500 guides to the legal profession as a leader in his field. In Chambers UK 2013, he is described as having a ‘huge’ reputation in property development and in Chambers UK 2011 is acknowledged as “extremely erudite”.
The Commercial Property & Development team is described in Chambers UK 2011 as "delightful to work with."
Gilbert joined Thomson Snell & Passmore in 1976 as an articled clerk. He qualified in 1978 and became a partner in 1980.