Thomson Snell & Passmore has secured compensation for the family of an ex fire-sprinkler fitter who was exposed to asbestos during his employment and later died from mesothelioma.
This sad industrial disease case involved an ex fire-sprinkler systems installer who had worked for Wormald Atlas, the Atlas and Automatic Sprinkler Company Limited and the Automatic Sprinkler Company Limited between 1949 to the 1980s.
In order to fit the sprinkler systems, our client often had to climb over pipe work which was lagged with asbestos lagging. As he did this the asbestos was disturbed and breathed in by him. He had also worked closely with other people who were removing asbestos material. Our client was not provided with protective clothing by his employers and no precautions were taken to ensure he did not breathe in the asbestos dust.
Unfortunately our client went on to develop mesothelioma cancer as a result of his asbestos exposure.
Thomson Snell & Pasmmore successfully argued that the deceased employer’s knew, or ought to have known of the risk of asbestos exposure from the mid 1960s onwards, and therefore their failure to provide protection from that time onwards had been negligent.
Sadly before the claim could be completed our client passed away as a result of his mesothelioma, and so the claim was continued on behalf of the family by his son. Alan was able to obtain a six figure sum to compensate the family for their loss and for the pain and suffering caused to our client.
If you would like to ask our team a question about a potential case, or if you have a general query about any personal injury, contact Jonathan Herbert at Thomson Snell & Passmore LLP solicitors on 01892 701226 in confidence.