This case study demonstrates the expertise of our Chemical Poisoning & Asbestos team who recently negotiated a full value settlement for a jeweller who developed mesothelioma after eight years' light exposure to asbestos working for international jewellers.
Mr B became an apprentice jeweller in 1963 and for the next eight years he worked in a workshop where there were 12 to 14 members of staff and four apprentices. In the course of his employment he inhaled asbestos dust which he and his colleagues created by snapping off and working small pieces of asbestos from a board to make a soldering paste, opening and disturbing tins containing asbestos-based Rawlplug products and brushing solder residue from various items of jewellery once soldering was complete. The mess caused asbestos particles to become airborne again when swept up. No protective clothing or mask were ever provided to Mr B who went on to develop mesothelioma in 2010.
Despite the low level of asbestos exposure (in comparison with other trades) we recovered a full value six figure settlement for Mr B.
Thomson Snell & Passmore LLP specialises in industrial disease cases. If you would like to ask our team a question about a potential case, or if you have a general query about any personal injury, contact Jonathan Herbert at Thomson Snell & Passmore LLP solicitors on 01892 701226 in confidence.