Information Technology Law Firm (IP/IT)
At Thomson Snell & Passmore, we understand that intellectual property is one of your most important assets, from high tech inventions to brands and creative works. Your intellectual property is made up of all the intangible assets in your business such as:
- Your name, whether trademarked or not
- Your know-how
- Your software and systems integration capabilities
- Your technical inventions, whether patented or not
- Your business information such as customer databases, delivery routes, sales figures, commercial opportunities and new ideas
- Your designs, whether for tangible objects or surface decoration
- Your creative output including writing, drawings, lay-outs, publications, circulars, websites
- Your reputation and brand values
As a trusted IT and intellectual property law firm, we have the right resources and experience to protect and commercialise your intellectual property investments.
Thomson Snell & Passmore has solicitors who have worked both in and with IT and IP-rich organisations and have experience protecting and realising the value of your investments. We will take a pragmatic and commercially focused approach to all agreements and seek to advise and reassure you throughout. We are happy to provide ad hoc interpretation of individual clauses, or draft full agreements, as required. Our IT/IP lawyers will also provide advice on data protection where this is applicable to your commercial agreements.
Our intellectual property team is led by Joanne Gallagher (Partner) for non-contentious matters, and Douglas Skilton (Partner) for contentious matters. Between them, Joanne and Doug have nearly 30 years’ experience in assisting clients with complex IT and intellectual property matters in a wide range of industry sectors.
Our intellectual property law advisory services include:
- Drafting and negotiating a wide range of IP-related transactions, including:
- Term sheets
- Confidentiality agreements
- Material transfer agreements
- Research collaborations
- Promotion agreements
- Commercial intellectual property licences (patent, trade marks, copyright, know-how, data base rights, plant variety rights)
- Intra-group licensing arrangements
- IT/software licences and maintenance agreements
- Source code escrow agreements
- Supply, manufacturing, distribution and agency agreements
- Joint ventures
- Performing due diligence of intellectual property assets for the purchase or sale of companies
- Drafting and negotiating intellectual property provisions of purchase agreements
- Assisting with brand protection issues.
- IP contract disputes, including ownership disputes
- Breach of confidence/misappropriation of trade secrets disputes
- Branding disputes
- Copyright, design right, trade mark and passing off claims
- Domain name and company name disputes.
- Drafting/updating data protection and privacy policies
- Data Impact Assessments
- Cookie policies
- Advising on compliance with current and upcoming data protection regulations
- Reviewing direct marketing practices.
- Counselling on IP ownership aspects of employee/consulting agreements
- Advising on ownership issues for contracts with third party contractors (e.g. third party software developers, contract research organisations, etc.)
- Drafting patent, trade mark and copyright assignments.
- Counselling on trade secrets issues, including unfair competition and reputation management issues.
- Counselling on competition/antitrust issues in relation to licensing or enforcement of IP rights.
Thomson Snell & Passmore work with carefully selected third party firms. These firms are local, London-based and international, and can help you file applications for patents, trademarks and design rights, and enforce your registered rights against infringers.
Get in touch
Take a look at our frequently asked questions in regards to intellectual property related matters here. If you wish to find out more information about intellectual property, please don't hesitate to get in touch with a member of the team today.