Search results for ''...

Sorry, there were no results

Get in touch

Get in touch

  • Overview

    We can provide advice and assistance in all situations where a claim needs to be brought, or where a claim is threatened or proceedings are issued. We have experience in dealing with cases for claimants and defendants, and litigation involving children. We aim to ensure that disputes are settled as early as possible, thereby reducing costs and delay.

    What kind of disputes can arise?

    Disputes can arise at the outset, for example, if any of the following questions/issues arise:

    1. Does the will and/or the Intestacy Rules make reasonable financial provision  for you? If not, can you or others bring a claim against the estate under the  Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975
    2. Was there a later will?
    3. Did the testator have mental capacity at the time of the last will?
    4. Did he / she understand the contents of the last will and its consequences?
    5. Were the strict signing formalities correctly observed when the last will was completed?
    6. Was the last will made under pressure from (i.e. under the undue influence of)  a beneficiary?
    7. Is the particular executor or administrator suitable to deal with the estate?
    8. Were promises made that certain assets would pass on death in a way that is  not included in the last will?

    Disputes can also arise in the course of administering an estate, for example, if any of the following questions/issues arise:

    1. Are the terms of the will ambiguous?

     In terms of the executors or administrators of the estate:

    1. Have their actions caused delay to the administration?
    2. What if they fall out with each other?
    3. What if they prefer the interests of one beneficiary over those of another?
    4. What if they fail to sufficiently safeguard the assets for the beneficiaries or sell  assets at an undervalue?
    5. What if they fail to produce accounts?
    6. What if you are an executor or administrator facing these allegations?

    These questions/issues can give rise to a claim against a will or an estate or those responsible for administering the estate. It is a non-exhaustive list, so please contact us if you need help in making or defending such a claim.

    What is the benefit of using us?

    Our expert lawyers will provide practical advice on safeguarding your position (for example by entering a caveat against the estate) and on then resolving the dispute outside of the Court process, if possible. If necessary, an application will be made to the Court.  Whatever action is taken, we will take particular care to minimise the risks you face on costs, and to see what can be done to recover costs from the estate or from your opponent.

    In addition, working closely with our specialist Wills, Probate, Trusts and Tax Planning team, we advise on preventative measures that can be taken by clients to try to avoid such disputes.

    For a free initial telephone consultation contact one of the team below.


  • Related Client Stories

    Inheritance Act Claim

    We recently acted for beneficiaries of an estate in a claim brought by the longstanding partner of the deceased.

  • Latest Updates

    Making use of the Residence Nil Rate Band

    The Residence Nil Rate Band (RNRB) has been recently introduced and is only able to be claimed on estates where the deceased has died on or after 6 April 2017. The RNRB increases the amount which can pass free of Inheritance Tax on the death.

    Independent administrator service

    Independent administration is a service solicitors and families can use when there are recalcitrant executors, intractable differences of opinion or contested wills combined with a need to protect an element or the whole of a deceased’s estate.

    Law Commission’s consultation on the law of wills

    Thomson Snell & Passmore has responded to the Law Commission’s consultation on the law of wills.

    FAQ: Tax Planning

    Q. We want to help our 20 year old daughter buy her first flat, but we’re worried about putting such a valuable asset directly in her name. Is there anything we can do to protect the property until she’s a bit older?

    FAQ: Dispute Resolution

    Q.  I have been cut out of my parents Will, what can I do?

  • Know How

Get in touch

I was satisfied with the efficiency and warmth of the service Kirsty provided.


Kirstie Hancock listened to me and if it was not possible to do what I wanted explained why I could not do it and offered a solution. Pleasant, helpful and informative service.


Thomson Snell & Passmore provides ‘an outstanding level of service’.

The Legal 500 2014

Clients note the firm’s ‘very reasonable costs’.

The Legal 500 2013

I cannot speak too highly of the care, attention and sympathy that I have received.


Initial contact was made at a time of great stress and I was glad to 'hand over' some of my concerns to TS&P. Their expertise and consideration has been a comfort in a time of continual stress. Thank you.”


Helpful, committed and responsive, who do a great job and treat their clients well.

Chambers UK

Clearly explained what was being done at every stage


Efficient, effective and friendly helpful.


The advice and support from the initial phone call through to the completion of the document was clear, thorough and very efficient. I felt I received a personal service tailored to my needs


The Deed of Variation and Trust that I required needed to be completed to a short deadline which was met. This was due to the efficient and effective work of the lawyers I worked with


Thank you for providing such clear advice and executing this in such a painless and professional way.  I don’t think I can recall the last time someone did some professional work for me where there were no typos or mistakes, or where I didn’t have to chase and do part of the work myself  


Meet The Team

Related Services
Jargon Buster Related Services