This page gives an overview of our employment settlement agreement services for employees. If you're an employer looking for professional advice on employment law, please visit our for your businesses page.
What is an employment settlement agreement?
A settlement agreement is a document that records the terms on which an employer and employee have agreed to terminate the employee's employment or settle a dispute. It will need to deal with all aspects of your employment.
It is a legal requirement that employees obtain independent legal advice before entering into a settlement agreement. Otherwise it is not legally binding.
Benefits of using our employment lawyers for settlement agreements
Employers do not have to agree to a settlement agreement from employers. They do have the right to negotiate the terms of any agreement. Once you sign a settlement agreement, it is legally binding, and you cannot pursue any claims through the courts or an Employment Tribunal. We can advise you on your settlement agreement and negotiate more favourable terms for you, if you have not been properly compensated.
How our settlement agreement solicitors can help:
As well as advising you on the appropriateness of the financial terms offered to you, we can advise you on:
- Your prospective claims against your employer and the value of those claims
- Whether signing the agreement is in your interests and the best coure of action for you
- The consequences of your signing the agreement
- Your entitlement to salary and benefits (for example, pension, company car or private medical insurance)
- Any tax due on the payments to be made
- Negotiating a quick resolution
- Facilitating an amicable exit.
For ruther information please contact one of the team.
Find out more about:
Our client was, without warning, told his employment was being terminated and handed a settlement agreement. We advised him on the process, the arguments to advance and the level of compensation to argue for. He negotiated a 50% increase and for his employer to pay his legal fees. The matter was resolved within a couple of days