Contact one of our specialist personal injury lawyers for a free initial consultation to find out if we consider you are entitled to compensation from the CICA.
When can you make a claim for criminal injury compensation claim?
Violent crime can have lasting and serious impact, both physically and psychologically, and can be difficult to talk about. However, we are here to help you claim compensation fro the injuries you have sustained and to aid your recovery.
The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) is a government body tasked with compensating the victims of violent crime for the injuries they sustained.
To succeed with a criminal injury compensation claim you need to meet strict criteria. For example the violent crime must have happened in England, Scotland or Wales. The application should be made within two years of the incident, although some can be pursued after this deadline.
What compensation can you claim from the CICA?
Up to £500,00 in compensation that can be awarded for injuries caused by violent crime. is limited to £500,000. The amount you can claim is calculated according to specific guidelines set out in the scheme. Provided the case meets the criteria, you may be able to claim compensation for:
- The injury
- Loss of earnings
- Other expenses (e.g. care and treatment if is unavailable on the NHS).
You can be refused compensation or have your reward reduced for a number of reasons including if you:
- Have a criminal record
- Fail to cooperate with the police.
What costs are involved?
- You pay your own legal costs from the compensation you recover - you can’t recover these legal costs from the CICA in addition to your compensation
- It may be possible to sue the person that injured you personally if they have the means to pay any compensation you were awarded. In those circumstances you would be able to claim some, if not all, of your legal costs as well as your compensation from the defendant.
How our personal injury lawyers can help with your injury caused by violent crime claim
- The breadth of experience in our personal injury team means it is likely that we have recovered compensation with similar circumstances to yours
- You will have support and expert service from a personal injury lawyer who is experienced in the area of violent crime
- We’ll assist and advise you with your application for compensation
- We’ll advise you carefully and clearly about the legal costs that would be deducted from any compensation you receive from the CICA
- We will work tenaciously to achieve a positive outcome.
Free initial consultation
Contact our team of specialist personal injury lawyers for a free, no obligation, consultation and we will listen to the circumstances of your accident before giving you clear advice on the chance of you recovering compensation. If we think you have a claim we can investigate your case using the financial security of a no win no fee agreement.