Documentation to provide a solid foundation to your project
Everyone involved in a construction project, large or small, needs properly prepared, commercially sound project documentation.
- For businesses outside the construction industry, our experienced lawyers use their in-depth knowledge of the industry to guide you through the process, identifying potential options and risks, helping you maintain control of the costs
- For those inside the industry, we know how to identify and adapt to the day-to-day opportunities and challenges you face, to safeguard your bottom line. Applying our legal expertise to your construction issues.
Benefits of sound project documentation
The earlier you consult us the better. Having good project documentation in place from the beginning does much more than tick the financial box. It can:
- Ensure the whole professional team is on board and their roles clear from the outset
- Put all contractors on the same footing during the tendering process to ensure that pricing is clear from the outset
- Work as a tool for driving the project forward
- Identify possible opportunities and predict potential issues
- Embed proper contract administration from the start
- Prevent or manage delays and losses
- Protect you from disputes or result in early resolution.
Tailored construction contracts and other documentation
Every project has its quirks. The legal documentation needs to be tailored to fit your project otherwise it is of little practical use and may not provide the most cost-effective solution.
We structure documentation around the operational requirements of the project, so that it deals with the issues particular to your situation, and aligns with your way of working. We take account of the wider short and long term commercial goals of your business – what you want to achieve further down the line is often a key factor in how the construction contracts and other documentation is structured.
Our project documentation services
- Advising on the most effective project structure
- Reviewing proposed documentation and construction contract structures
- Negotiating, drafting and making amendments to standard form construction contracts
- Specialist drafting of bespoke construction and engineering contracts for complex projects
- Negotiating and drafting consultants’ appointments and deeds of novation
- Negotiating and drafting related documentation – including letters of intent, performance bonds, parent company guarantees, retention bonds, etc.
- Negotiating and drafting collateral warranties in favour of developers, funders, purchasers, tenants etc.
- International construction contract advice for foreign companies where projects are funded by overseas investors.
Clients praise Chris Whittington’s “practical, commonsense advice” and his “fantastic attention to detail and excellent knowledge of contract law.”
Our construction and engineering team has been consistently ranked in Tier 1 by leading independent legal directory Chambers UK. Clients say “It was a difficult case but we had the benefit of a highly experienced, strong and very committed team from TS&P. Their efforts were justly reflected in a very positive result. They are also, as it happens, a pleasure to work with.”
Client success stories include advising:
- Professional services businesses (accountants, law firms) in relation to the most appropriate procurement route and ancillary documentation for the construction of bespoke new offices to meet the operational needs of the business and maximise assets from the development
- Banks and funders to review and implement appropriate project documentation to protect their interests and ensure appropriate step-in rights should the need arise
- In relation to multi million pound high end residential refurbishment and alteration projects
- In relation to numerous school building and student accommodation projects
- In relation to the fit out of major chill store warehousing facilities ensuring appropriate terms were in place to deal with the highly specialist nature of the works
- In relation to the full suite of construction documents for a major London hotel refurbishment project funded by overseas investment.
Email us or call us on 01322 623706 to arrange initial consultation.