Legal support that keeps your project on track
All construction projects will encounter the need for changes to be made as the works progress. Having the right project documentation in place is as important as making sure it is operated correctly and on time. However, contractual obligations are often ignored, misunderstood or misapplied. Having the support of a construction lawyer with in-depth knowledge of the practical aspects of a construction project will help things get back on track by:
- Advising on what notices under the contracts should be served and when
- Explaining the pros and cons of taking formal steps to address performance issues
- Keeping the project moving in the right direction
- Preventing construction disputes escalating and costing time and money.
We’ll advise you of your position, your options, the cost implications and the most realistic course of action. We work collaboratively with other professionals involved in the project and frequently head off construction disputes before they happen.
There are two ways in which clients use our project support services:
For ongoing project support: working with us means you have a construction lawyer on your team whenever you need one. Someone who understands the construction industry, is familiar with your project and objectives, and who you can consult at any time on any concerns.
For support on issues arising during the project: whether we worked on your construction contract documentation or an issue has arisen since the contracts were put in place, we’ll advise you on how the contractual terms can be used to safeguard your position and minimise the risk of a problem escalating into a dispute.
Our project support services
- Post contract completion procedures: once the construction contract is in place, helping you set up processes on site to ensure the team involved in the construction phase is familiar with what the contract requires of them and how it applies in practical terms
- Advising you how best to deal with any issues that arise on construction contracts, sub-contracts and appointments during construction
- Commercial negotiations and settlement of any issues
- Advising and negotiating in potential suspension of works or termination of contract situations, including negotiating amended contract terms
- Liaising with experts to resolve technical issues affecting the project.
Our construction and engineering team has been consistently ranked in Tier 1 by leading independent legal directory Chambers UK. Clients praise the support offered saying “Working with our Project Manager, Chris Whittington provided clear, practical and commercial advice and drafting, always responding promptly to our needs.”
Client success stories
- Negotiating with the suppliers of an insolvent company to secure the immediate direct delivery of later instalments of bespoke radial cut stone for a prestigious London development
- Negotiating with a local authority to secure access to a contractor whose services had been improperly suspended and obtaining their agreement to additional works to enable the project to proceed
- Advising on notices of intention to suspend works to secure overdue interim payments
- Advising in relation to preliminary termination notices to break the deadlock and enable completion of the project.
Email us or call us on 01322 623706 to arrange an initial consultation.