Search results for ''...

Sorry, there were no results

Get in touch

Get in touch

  • Overview

    Q. My daughter is getting married next year. She is due to receive an inheritance and intends to use the inheritance to purchase a property. How can she protect the inherited monies when she is married?

    A. Your daughter can enter into a pre-nuptial agreement, prior to the wedding. It is advisable to do so several months before the wedding and certainly no less than three months, so that there is not pressure on either party in signing it. Such an agreement, whilst not binding per se, will be given weight by the Court, particularly if certain conditions have been complied with.

    By this I mean that they have both had independent legal advice, there has been financial disclosure and they both fully understand what they are signing. There can be provision within the agreement to review it in the future, within a certain timeframe or on a certain event, for example, the birth of any children. The pre-nuptial agreement will clearly set out the parties intentions to keep inherited wealth separate from wealth built up during the marriage.

    Q. I’ve recently discovered that my spouse has committed adultery; we have been married for 25 years and have two children. I want to try and make the marriage work, as does my spouse but I also want to know that I have some security financially if the reconciliation doesn’t work, is there anything I can do?

    A. You could enter into a post-nuptial agreement; such an agreement can be entered into anytime after you are married. It is advisable that it sets out the assets you both have together and separately so that there has been full disclosure before it is entered into. It is also advisable that you both take independent legal advice before you sign it and that you are both fully aware as to the consequences of the agreement in the event the marriage was to come to an end. As with pre-nuptial agreements, such agreements are not automatically binding but they are likely to be upheld if there has been disclosure, independent advice and the agreement is not unfair. It means that both you and your spouse would know where you stand financially if the marriage did come to an end. One of you could instruct a lawyer to draw up the agreement, which is then taken by the other to a lawyer to consider. Alternatively, you could instruct collaborative lawyers to act for you and then all discussions regarding the agreement and the drafting of the agreement, could take place face to face, sitting round a table, rather than through correspondence.

    Q. My husband and I want to lend our son some money to buy a property with his partner. We want to ensure that if the relationship comes to an end, that the money we had lent would be safe and that we would be repaid. How can we protect our money?

    A. There are different ways to record the fact that the money is not a gift and that you intend it to be repaid.

    You could enter into a declaration of trust with your son and his partner. This document would record the amount of money that was being lent and when it would be repaid and whether there would be interest payable. Your son and his partner would be the owners of the property but a restriction would be registered on the title to the property, notifying anyone looking at the legal title that there was something else to consider. The declaration of trust would be signed by you all and would be clear as to your intentions.

    Another way to protect your money would be to register a charge against the property; it would usually come second in priority after any mortgage charge and set out when the monies were to be repaid, whether interest was to paid etc. Anyone checking the title to the property would immediately be aware that you had a charge against the property.

    You could also enter into a loan agreement with your son and his partner, setting out the terms of the loan and when repayments should be made. It would still be advisable in those circumstances to have a restriction registered on the title to the property.

    Q: I have recently separated from my long term partner, we were not married.  Am I able to make a financial claim against them?

    A: While many people refer to this type of relationship as a “common law marriage”, it carries no specific legal status and there is no such thing as a common law spouse. As a non-married person, you have no guaranteed rights to make a claim on your former partner’s property after separation, or even if your partner were to die. This is still the case if you have lived together for many years and even if you had children together.

    It is possible that you may have some rights as a result of cohabiting with your partner, but this is only something that can be determined after all the facts of your particular case have been considered by a lawyer.

    Because the number of cohabiting couple families has increased significantly in recent years, many couples now choose to enter into cohabitation agreements to reflect their wishes and what should happen if their relationship ends. Couples are encouraged to enter into cohabitation agreements, which is something Thomson Snell & Passmore can assist you with.

    Q: What if my spouse wants to take the children to live in another part of the country or even abroad?

    A: Even though you both have parental responsibility of your children as married parents, your spouse would be entitled to take the children to live in another part of the country without first asking the court to give its consent to them doing so. However, they should inform you in advance of their intention to re-locate. If your spouse makes their intention known to you, you can apply to the court for a specific issue order to prevent the move.  Also, even if your spouse were to move to another part of the country, you could apply to the court for an order that they enrol  the children again for example, at their previous school  or, that they live with you until a judge determines if they may move  to another part of the country with the other parent.

    However, they  would need the permission of the court to take the children out of the country permanently. Indeed, if they removed the children to another country such as France or even further afield, it would be a criminal offence if they did not have your or the court’s consent to do so.
    When deciding whether or not to allow a spouse to relocate to another part of the country or abroad with a child, the judge’s decision will be based on the ’welfare of the child’ and therefore although consideration will also be given to the wishes, interests and feelings of the parents, and the likely impact of the court’s decision on each of them, such wishes, interests and feelings are only considered in the context of determining the welfare of the child.

    Q: My spouse wants to stop paying me spousal maintenance because I have a new partner.  Are they entitled to do this?

    A: Spousal maintenance payments come to an end automatically if the spouse remarries. There is no need for the payer to apply to the court to bring spousal maintenance payments to an end.
    However, spousal maintenance payments do not come to an end automatically if you merely live together (cohabit), although your spouse would be entitled to make an application to the court for a decrease in the spousal maintenance payments they make to you because after living together, your financial needs are likely to have changed i.e. you are most likely to have an arrangement whereby you share the cost of all household bills with your new partner.  A judge will consider each case on its own individual merits and it is possible, depending on the circumstances of your case, that spousal maintenance payments could be reduced substantially and perhaps even to a nominal amount.  
    If you have formed a new relationship but you are not living with your new partner, then spousal maintenance payments must continue to be paid by your former spouse. Cohabitation is a question of fact and simply allowing your current partner to stay over night with you on a couple of occasions each week, does not constitute cohabitation.

    Q: As a separated parent, what do I need to bear in mind when arranging childcare for my children during the summer holidays?

    A: For any separated parents, the keyword to keep in mind is communication. If you can communicate with each other you will avoid problems later down the line, making life easier for yourselves and most importantly – for your children. Talk to your ex-partner in good time before the end of the school term to explain what your plans for childcare are over the summer holidays. This will give you time to discuss any concerns that they may have about the arrangements and for you to consider any requests to change the arrangements. You do not need your ex-partner’s permission to put your children into holiday clubs or nursery, but if they have parental responsibility for the children, it is good practice to keep them informed. You may also like to offer them fi rst refusal on looking after the children during the holidays, before you pay for professional childcare.

    Q: Can I expect my ex-partner to take time off to look after the children during the summer holidays?

    A: If your ex-partner does not want to spend additional time with the children during the summer holidays, you cannot force them. Talk to your ex-partner well in advance of the summer holidays to ask whether they can cover any of the childcare. If you feel strongly that you would like your ex-partner to spend more time with the children during the summer holidays, you can suggest that you both attend mediation to discuss the arrangements with an independent mediator. However, if your ex does not agree, you cannot force them. If your ex-partner has offered to look after the children during the summer holidays, it is always a good idea to have ‘back up’ arrangements in place if possible. If your ex-partner tells you at the last minute that they can no longer have the children, you cannot force them.

    Q:Can I expect my ex-partner to share the costs of additional childcare during the summer holidays?

    A: Assuming that your ex-partner pays the appropriate level of child maintenance (either through the Child Support Agency, Child Maintenance Service, Court order or private agreement) you cannot insist that they pay additional childcare expenses. It is possible to make an application to the Court  nder the Children Act 1989 for fi nancial provision for childcare costs, but such applications can take a long time to be determined and if you engage solicitors, the costs of the application may outweigh the amount you are asking for.

    Q:Do I need my ex-partner’s permission to take our children on holiday?

    A: If your ex-partner has parental responsibility for the children (and there is no Court order in place – see below) you must obtain their permission to take the children out of England and Wales for any period of time. Some airlines require a letter of consent from the absent parent if one parent is travelling abroad with the children.  If however you have an order from the Court confi rming that the children live with you, you can take the children out of the country for up to four weeks without needing the other parent’s permission. If your ex-partner does not consent to you taking the children out of the country, you can make an application to the Court for permission. It is important to ask your ex-partner for their consent as early as possible, so that you have enough time to make an application to the Court for permission if this is necessary.

    Q: Do I need to tell my ex where I am taking the children on holiday?

    A: If your ex-partner has parental responsibility for the children it is good practice to keep them informed of where you are taking the children on holiday and to provide a contact telephone number while you are away. You are likely to want this information in return if your ex-partner takes the children away, so bear this in mind if your ex-partner requests it from you.

  • Related Services


    Dealing with the legal aspects of a relationship or family breakdown requires a thorough knowledge of the law and a tactful, understanding approach.

    Wills, Trusts & Tax Planning

    Our specialist lawyers provide high quality, intelligent advice that is comprehensive, considered and clear.

    Wills, gifts and other applications

    Our Court of Protection team is one of the most experienced in the country in advising Deputies and Attorneys on formal applications for gifts, wills and property transactions.


    Mediation is a voluntary process where couples are helped to discuss important issues safely in a neutral environment with an independent third party (the mediator).  

    Divorce & separation

    The breakdown of a marriage is a difficult time for all involved. Contact one of out specialist lawyers to receive clear supportive advice.  

    Civil partnerships

    Since December 2005 same sex couples have been able to enter into registered civil partnerships. Our team has experience of acting for registered civil partners in the dissolution of their civil partnership and will handle your case with the sensitivity and clarity necessary during such a difficult time.


    An unfortunate but not uncommon side effect of relationship breakdown is that issues can arise regarding the arrangements for the care of children. We always have the best interests of the children in mind and will provide you with sensible and practical advice about what can be the most emotive of issues.

    Wills & succession

    A Will is an essential part of your personal financial planning.  

    Inheritance Tax advice

    Estate planning advice

    Careful planning can reduce your estate's tax bill considerably. As specialists in succession and related tax planning, we can offer practical and effective advice on a wide variety of issues.

    Personal tax returns

    By keeping abreast of developments, we can help you deal with all of the issues surrounding personal, estate and trust tax returns.

    Prenuptial agreements

Get in touch

Jargon Buster