Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) describes the practice and increasingly popular occurrence of staff using their own personal mobile devices such as a laptop, tablet or smartphone for business purposes either while at work or remotely.
A survey carried out by YouGov plc in 2013 revealed that of all UK adults:
- 47% use their personal smartphone, laptop or tablet computer for work purposes;
- email is the most common work activity carried out by a personal device;
- 37% use their personal device to edit work documents;
- 36% store work documents on a personal device; but
- less than 3 in 10 were provided with guidance on how their devices should be used and how to protect personal data.
Read the full article in HR Review (online).