Specialisms and expertise
Brian has over 20 years of private client practice experience, specialising in Court of Protection work since around 2004, within the market leading Court of Protection team. He works on complex personal injury and clinical negligence cases where the claimant lacks capacity and advises on the role of deputy and the likely costs involved.
Brian has particular interest and experience in administering the finances of those who suffer from incapacity due to brain and birth injuries. His experience includes:
- acting as a professional deputy appointed by the Court of Protection (the team is appointed as deputies in over 250 cases)
- undertaking expert witness work for both claimant and defendant solicitors and joint instructions
- acting as a trustee in trusts established to deal with personal injury damages
- acting for parties (both applicants and respondents) in Court of Protection proceedings, including contested and non-contested deputyship and statutory will applications.
What his clients say
- Chambers UK conducts independent and anonymous interviews with clients, and in its 2018 edition quoted one as saying: “The "absolutely excellent" Brian Bacon acts as a deputy, trustee and expert witness in a range of Court of Protection matters. He is particularly adept at representing individuals who lack capacity due to severe brain injuries, often as the result of medical negligence at birth”.
- Chambers UK in its 2016 edition noted that Brian “absolutely knows what he's doing, is refreshingly pragmatic and looks at the wider picture in acting for the person who lacks capacity".
- The Legal 500 – Brian is “very highly rated”.
- “Thank you to you and all your colleagues who have work on this case, and for the helpful way in which you have always dealt with us. We are very impressed with your firm” - father of a woman with autism, following a Court of Protection application.
Achievements and other appointments
- Ranked as a ‘Leading Individual’ for Court of Protection work in the 2018 edition of Chambers UK.
- Regular speaker at key industry seminars and conferences including:
- Annual Conference of the Private Client Section of the Law Society (2010 - 2012 and 2015) on Court of Protection issues
- Headway Annual Deputy’s Conference 2016
- Farrar’s Building Brain Injury seminar 2016
- Annual Conference 2011 of Headfirst (a firm of specialist brain injury case managers) on factors that can affect Court of Protection costs.
- Commissioned by various publications to write on Court of Protection practice and issues.
Brian joined the firm in 2000 becoming a Fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives in June 2003. He went on to complete his training whilst working to qualify as a solicitor in November 2006. Brian became a partner in 2011. He is part of the firm’s corporate membership with BABICM.