Specialisms & expertise
- Complex and high value commercial disputes, including claims for breach of contract arising from the sale of industrial machinery, international distribution and agency agreements, the supply of goods and the provision of services
- Claims relating to the mis-selling of interest rate hedging products
- Disputes involving shareholders, partners and directors of companies
- Intellectual property disputes, including copyright, design right, trade mark and passing off claims, the misuse of confidential information, domain name and company name disputes
- Regulatory disputes
- Applying for and resisting injunction applications.
Client stories & examples of work
- Pursuing a claim to trial in the Intellectual Property division of the High Court in London and successfully securing an injunction and damages for a manufacturer of industrial machinery, relating to the infringement of its intellectual property rights in the designs for its machines.
- Acting for the distributor of a leading brand of racing cars in China in connection with a claim for breach of contract in the High Court, which resulted in a substantial, confidential settlement for the client.
- Providing legal and tactical advice to a company which ordered bespoke manufacturing equipment that failed to perform to specification.
- Advising a commercial agent and negotiating a settlement with its principal following a dispute over commission payments.
- Acting for a business pursuing a complaint against its bank for the mis-selling of an interest rate hedging product and helping to secure a substantial out of court settlement.
- Helping two senior executives resist an urgent injunction application for alleged breach of confidence and negotiating a settlement on their behalf at mediation.
- Advising a market leading supplier to supermarkets in relation to a high value contractual claim against it, where the claim was ultimately withdrawn.
- Successfully defending a challenge to the ownership of a client's design rights in an industrial vehicle.
- Taking action to prevent the copying of a national retailer's website by a 'cybersquatter', and securing a transfer of the infringing domain name.
Achievements & other appointments
Douglas is recommended by The Legal 500, and commended for the way he “gets on top of detail and takes a sensible approach”. The Dispute Resolution team is praised in Chambers UK 2014 for its “client-centred ethos and commitment to good service” and in The Legal 500 2013 for its ‘good response times’, ‘value for money’ ‘efficient service’ and for its ‘superb knowledge and business acumen'.
Douglas has completed a Diploma in Litigation and he has written a number of articles for regional and national publications.
Douglas read Law at the University of Kent, Canterbury and he joined Thomson Snell & Passmore in 2004.