Specialisms & expertise
- Complex and high value commercial disputes, including claims for breach of contract arising from the supply of goods and the provision of services
- Claims relating to the mis-selling of financial products
- Disputes involving shareholders, partners and directors of companies
- Intellectual property disputes, including copyright, design right, trade mark and passing off claims, the misuse of confidential information, domain name and company name disputes
- Regulatory disputes
- Applying for and resisting injunction applications.
Client stories & examples of work
- Successfully securing an injunction and damages for a manufacturer of industrial machinery, following the infringement of its intellectual property rights
- Acting for the distributor of racing cars in China in connection with a claim for breach of contract
- Providing legal and tactical advice to a company which ordered bespoke manufacturing equipment that failed to perform to specification
- Advising a commercial agent and negotiating a settlement with its principal following a dispute over commission payments
- Acting for a business pursuing a complaint against its bank for the mis-selling of an interest rate hedging product and helping to secure a substantial out of court settlement
- Helping two senior executives resist an injunction application for alleged breach of confidence and negotiating a settlement on their behalf at mediation
- Advising a market leading supplier to supermarkets to defend a high value claim
- Successfully defending a challenge to the ownership of a client's design rights in an industrial vehicle
- Taking action to prevent the copying of a national retailer's website.
Achievements & other appointments
Douglas is recommended by The Legal 500, and commended for the way he “gets on top of detail and takes a sensible approach”. The 2018 guide stated that Douglas is 'a calm, methodical lawyer who has an excellent manner with clients and looks for effective ways to resolve their issues'.
Douglas is also ranked in the Chambers guide and the 2018 edition he was noted for being "very effective and commercially aware". Client sources reported that "He is able to stand back and take a view on matters and then decide in what direction we should proceed."
Douglas is the Deputy Chair of the Board of Governors at the Milestone Academy.
Douglas read Law at the University of Kent, Canterbury graduating in 2006. He undertook his Legal Practice Course at the Inns of Court School of Law and he was admitted as a solicitor in September 2006. He has also completed a Diploma in Litigation. Douglas joined Thomson Snell & Passmore in 2004 and he became a Partner in 2015.