Specialisms & expertise
- International commercial disputes
- Disputes arising from international trade and the sale of goods, with an emphasis on commodity trading
- Disputes arising from standard terms, joint ventures, partnership agreements, professional negligence, logistics, warehousing and supply contracts and general contractual disputes
- Significant arbitration experience both ad hoc and institutional pursuant to the rules of the LCIA, ICC, LMAA and trade bodies such as GAFTA, FOSFA and the LME
- Acting for and against insurers in disputes arising from policy wordings, coverage and subrogated recovery claims.
Client stories & examples of work
- Acting on behalf of Buyers and Sellers in numerous high-value GAFTA and FOSFA arbitrations.
- Acting for a Russian mining company in multi-million dollar dispute arising from non-payment for a shipment of coal. LCIA arbitration.
- Acting for a defendant in a complex dispute arising from the sale of steel mills in Russia. Claimants seeking USD 69 million in repayments of funds invested in the mills. Contracts subject to English law and Swiss Rules of arbitration.
- Acting for international ports group in a high value and complex policy dispute with insurers.
- Representing one of the world’s largest mining companies in a complex dispute arising from delivery of contaminated sulphur to client’s processing facility.
- Defending logistics operator in various claims brought by the administrators of a high street chain arising from the exercise of several liens.
- Acting for administrators of a development company in a multi-million-pound dispute against insurers of a sub-contractor (also in administration) progressed pursuant to the Third Parties (Rights Against Insurers) Act 1930 arising from the collapse of a hotel during a complex development project.
- Acting for Russian traders in ICC arbitration with Portuguese customers arising from disputed contracts and alleged quality issues in relation to various consignments of frozen products.
- Acting for an established high street clothing chain in test litigation concerning the duties and responsibilities of electricity suppliers to customers following a warehouse fire.
Achievements & other appointments
James is consistently recommended in the major guides to the legal profession. He has been described as “recommended” and “known for his expertise in GAFTA and FOSFA arbitrations”. A recent Legal 500 guide says, “James Cradick excels in GAFTA, FOSFA, LME and LCIA arbitrations….advises a large Spanish oil company and numerous trading houses based in Geneva, one of whom recently instructed Cradick on a $70m dispute”. James has previously also been endorsed by Thomson Reuters in their Super Lawyers directory as a ‘rising star’. He is part of the firm’s Dispute Resolution team that is praised by clients in the guides for being “an exceptional team” with “a client-centred ethos and commitment to good service”.
James practised as a Barrister before working for a number of City firms prior to joining Thomson Snell & Passmore in 2014.