Specialisms & expertise
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Joint ventures
- Corporate structures
- Intellectual property
- Commercial contracts
Client stories & examples of work
- A three way cross border merger in the soft fruits industry
- Acting for an AIM listed company on an acquisition by way of cash and vendor placing
- The sale of a property holding special purpose vehicle
- The acquisition of a department store
- The acquisition by a company of its own shares for £6 million.
Types of client
James has wide experience of advising businesses of all sizes in various sectors, including private limited companies, owner managed businesses and UK subsidiaries of major foreign companies. James has particular knowledge of the transport, food production and processing, property, professional service, charity and not for profit and education sectors.
Achievements & other appointments
James is recognised as a "leader in the field" in the Corporate Finance section of the leading independent guide to UK law firms, Chambers UK. Clients admire James for his “experience, thoroughness and imagination”, and praised him for his deep knowledge and commercially minded approach.
James holds a law degree from Cambridge University. He qualified in 1983 and joined the firm after training and practising with City firm Lawrence Graham.
James lives in East Sussex with his wife, has two grown up children is Chairman of the South East Reserve Forces and Cadets Association and a trustee of several charities.