Specialisms & expertise
- Commercial contracts
- Joint ventures
- Corporate structures
- Data protection and intellectual property
Past and present projects
- Advising on ownership and management succession of a family owned company
- Advising on the purchase of a large piece of plant and machinery
- Acting on the conversion of unincorporated charities to CIO
- Advising e-commerce businesses on the General Data Protection Regulation
- Advising on terms and conditions for the hire of venues.
Types of client
James advises owner managed businesses and UK subsidiaries of major foreign companies, co-operatives and charities in various sectors, including food production and processing, retail, real property, professional services and education.
Achievements & other appointments
Clients admire James for his “experience, thoroughness and imagination”, and praise him for his deep knowledge and commercially minded approach.
James holds a law degree from Cambridge University. He qualified as a solicitor in October 1983. He joined the firm after training and practising with a City firm and became a partner in 1986.
James lives in East Sussex with his wife, has two grown up children and has just retired after nearly 40 years service in the Army Reserve.