Specialisms & expertise
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Corporate Advisory & Corporate Governance
- Management Buyouts
- Private Equity, Venture Capital & Angel Investments
- Joint Venture Agreements
- Shareholder Agreements and Articles of Association
- Reorganisations & Restructurings
- In-house Legal Counsel Support
Key examples of work & experience
- Advising a global accountancy firm on its acquisition of a digital design consultancy business and a governance, risk and compliance consultancy.
- Advising a large listed sports retailer on a number of acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures and strategic investments.
- Advising an international car technology and lifestyle audio company on its acquisition of a Cambridge-based manufacturer of hi-fi technology.
- Advising a London-headquartered FinTech company on a 51% investment by a global bank.
- Advising the shareholders of a search and discovery applications company on its sale to a California-based enterprise search technology company.
- Advising on the sale of an online sports-events live-scores business.
- Advising a NYSE-listed manufacturer of commercial automatic transmissions and hybrid propulsion systems on its acquisition of an electric vehicle technology specialist based in London.
- Advising a leading provider of storage and server support systems on a number of acquisitions, disposals and restructurings, including the acquisition of a global supplier of enterprise IT solutions.
- Advising a global design, engineering and management consulting company on its sale of a non-core business subsidiary.
- Advising a private equity firm on the major restructuring of its investment in a digital-media technology business.
- Advising a major music company on its joint venture with a Chinese multinational conglomerate to develop an online music social network (via a short-form video model).
- Advising the shareholders of a developer and supplier of local position reference sensors on its sale to a global leader in smart technologies and complete lifecycle solutions for marine and energy markets.
- Advising a shareholder of a company which manufactures technology accessories for iPads and iPhones on various shareholder matters.
Types of client
Jason acts for a full range of corporate clients, from owner-managed businesses to large private companies. He also acts for angel, venture capital & private equity investors.
Given Jason's extensive international experience, he frequently advises foreign companies and English subsidiaries of foreign corporate groups.
Achievements & client quote
In 2017 Jason was nominated as a "stand-out lawyer" by an independently surveyed client, and he now features in the Acritas Stars database.
"I would like to thank Jason Varney in particular for his work on the Leo transaction. Jason’s tenacity and dedication made the whole process more bearable. Throughout the time I worked with him Jason was approachable, pro-active, helpful and positive at all times. He was an excellent representative and is a credit to the organisation. I would be very happy to work with Jason again should the opportunity arise" - Chief Financial Officer (October 2017.
Jason is a Corporate Lawyer who specialises in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate governance and other corporate advisory and transactional work.
He has broad sector experience, with a particular focus on the technology sector. Before joining Thomson Snell & Passmore in 2020, Jason spent five years at the magic circle firm Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, and just over five years at the mid-city firm Reynolds Porter Chamberlain. During his career Jason has also been seconded to Hong Kong, a London-headquartered FinTech company, and also to the in-house legal teams of two major global financial institutions.