Specialisms & expertise
- Managing deputyships for a wide range of individuals, with particular involvement in cases concerning high value damages awards for children and adults with severe acquired brain injuries
- Working closely with personal injury and clinical negligence lawyers, case managers, care teams and all other professionals involved in the client’s care
- Providing costs estimates for the management of a client’s deputyship to litigation lawyers regarding ongoing claims for personal injury awards
- Liaising with the client’s family and support network regarding the personal injury award and advising on how these funds should be spent (whilst at all times taking the client’s best interests into consideration)
- Liaising with investment advisors and asset management companies regarding investing the client’s funds into a long term investment portfolio
- Liaising with local authorities regarding direct payment applications
- Advising on and preparing applications to the Court of Protection
- Preparation of annual accounts for submission to the Office of the Public Guardian
- Liaising with Benefit Agency to submit applications for benefits to which the client is entitled.
Achievements & other appointments
The Private Client team provides a full range of private client services and is recognised by Chambers UK for its “niche expertise in acting for vulnerable or incapacitated clients”. The Court of Protection team specifically were recently named by the Legal 500 as a “Firm of the Year” stating that the team “stands out for the sheer breadth and sophistication of its practice”.
Kelly graduated from Oxford Brookes University with an LLB Law degree in 2012. Since graduating, Kelly has managed an in-house legal department and subsequently worked as a Paralegal in a City law firm. Kelly joined Thomson Snell & Passmore as a Legal Secretary in February 2016, before becoming Legal Assistant in the brain injury department of the Court of Protection team in August 2016.