Specialisms & expertise
- Probate and administration of testate and intestate estates
- Trust administration, including life interest and discretionary trusts
- Inheritance tax agricultural and business property relief claims
- All accountancy and taxation aspects involved in the administration of estates
- Post death tax planning including deeds of variation and deeds of appointment.
Client stories & examples of work
- Administering high net worth individuals’ estates with multi-jurisdictional assets
- Working with overseas professionals on multi-jurisdictional probate cases including analysis and interpretation of difference taxation rules
- Addressing post death tax strategies to save CGT on disposals (property and shares) and dealing with non-domiciled beneficiaries CGT reporting in the UK on property disposals
- Undertaking estate administration work for overseas executors and beneficiaries
- Acting on behalf of independent administrators where appointed by the court following disputes.
Types of client
All manner of clients ranging from high net worth individuals and families, business owners, farmers, accountants, solicitors, barristers, surviving spouses and investment managers.
Michael joined Thomson Snell & Passmore as a consultant in 2020, having originally trained with the firm, joining in 1976 and qualifying as a fellow of the Institute of Legal Executives in June 1984. Michael left at the end of 1990 to join a leading Lincoln’s Inn firm where he worked as a Senior Probate Manager until the end of 2019, re-joining the firm at the beginning of 2020. He is also a member of STEP and has a wealth of expertise and experience, having acted on a wide range of high net worth and multi-jurisdictional cases.