Specialisms & expertise
Nasima advises on all types of contentious trust and probate matters including:
- Will challenges
- Claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 (“Inheritance Act Claims”)
- Disputes relating to the administration of estates and trusts
- Actions against trustees and personal representatives
- Promissory estoppel claims
- Trust disputes between co-owners of a property
Nasima is experienced in various forms of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and where possible, she will work to resolve matters out of court. If court proceedings cannot be avoided, Nasima will provide clear pragmatic advice and costs information.
Client stories & examples of work
- Settled an Inheritance Act claim at mediation on favourable terms for the client/defendant who risked losing a residential property which had been left to her by her mother.
- Successfully defending a mutual will claim against a deceased’s estate resulting in the payment of various investment bonds in the sum of £200,000 being paid to the deceased’s estate, which was being withheld by the deceased’s spouse’s executor.
- Acting for a minor beneficiary who had her inheritance reduced when her late grandmother made a new will only leaving her a nominal amount, compared to what would have received in the grandmother’s previous will. The medical notes showed a significant long history of mental illness and this was sufficient to cast doubt that the deceased had testamentary capacity when the new will was made.
- Acting for a deceased’s son, who was a discretionary beneficiary of his late father’s will trust. The trust paid a large discretionary loan to his only sibling and only a 1/3 of this amount to him. The sibling was a trustee and a discretionary beneficiary of the will trust. Proceedings were issued. It was subsequently negotiated that the trust fund should be split 50/50 between the two children of the deceased equally.
- Acting in a complex 5 year dispute in relation to the beneficial interest in 2 properties which were purchased by two brothers as a rental business venture and which was registered in the sole name of the deceased brother.
Types of client
Nasima acts for executors, administrators, trustees and beneficiaries as well as individuals involved in disputes.
Achievements & other appointments
Nasima is currently completing the Association of Contentious Trusts and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS) course through the University of Law. When completed, she will become an ACTAPS member.
Nasima is a member of ConTra: The Contentious Trusts Association, a network for Contentious Trusts Associates.
Nasima is passionate about social responsibility and is a fundraiser for Demelza Hospice Care for Children. Nasima was also a Director and Trustee of Bromley and Croydon Women’s Aid for over 10 years.
Nasima graduated with a degree in Law and completed her Legal Practice Course at the University of Law, London. Nasima went on to join a Legal 500 regional firm and successfully completed her training contract in 2004. Nasima joined Thomson Snell & Passmore’s Dispute Resolution department in September 2021.