Specialisms & expertise
Advice on all aspects of EU and UK competition law, including:
- Public and private enforcement of competition law, including dawn raids, immunity/leniency applications and administrative and judicial proceedings
- Horizontal and vertical agreements with competitors, suppliers or customers
- Market definition, market power and unilateral conduct
- Merger control (UK, EU and multi-jurisdictional aspects)
- Tactical advice on day to day business dealings
- Compliance programmes and training.
Client stories & examples of work
- Advising an Asian consumer goods manufacturer with significant market power on all aspects of its distribution and sales in Europe
- Advising a European paper company on all aspects of a cartel investigation conducted by the European Commission from dawn raids through to eventual decision
- Advising a software company accused of abusing a dominant position including eventual settlement and file closure
- Advising on merger proceedings under the EC Merger Regulation including transactions in the waste disposal (Veolia/Cleanaway), oil and gas (Chevron/Texaco), telecommunications (Telia/Sonera), industrial turbines (Siemens/Alstom), road transport (Dentressangle/Salvesen) and forest industries (SCA/Metsa Tissue) sectors
- Advising on merger proceedings under the Enterprise Act in the transport (London Underground) and waste disposal sectors
- Advising a retailer in OFT proceedings under the Competition Act concerning retail pricing practices
- Advising companies in the OFT’s market studies concerning the Pharmaceutical Price Regulation Scheme, Payment Protection Insurance, Personal Current Accounts and Homebuilding.
Nick qualified as a solicitor in 1983. He joined Thomson Snell & Passmore as a consultant in 2010 after spending 25 years in the Competition and EU Law practice of Lovells LLP. During that time Nick was ranked as a Leader in Competition / European Law by Chambers and
Partners 2007 and 2008, with The Legal 500 noting Nick's frequent recognition for "his commercial approach."