Specialisms & expertise
- Mergers and acquisitions.
- Demergers, share buy-backs, share-for-share exchanges and other corporate reorganisations.
- Joint ventures (with a particular interest in property development joint ventures).
- Employee share incentive schemes.
Past & present projects
- Nick has advised Nurture Landscapes (an award-winning landscaping company with a turnover exceeding £70m) for more than 10 years on a number of company acquisitions (25 of them as at March 2020), corporate restructures (including the sale of some shares to private equity investors), EMI and CSOP share option schemes and various other corporate and commercial matters.
- Nick has advised Let Insurance Services (trading as Lettings Hub) in relation to a number of company acquisitions and other corporate and commercial matters over recent years.
- Nick advised the majority shareholders of the Miles & Barr group of companies (one of the largest estate and lettings agents in Kent) in relation to an MBO.
- Nick advised the shareholders of Peter Fisk Associates Limited (industrial chemical consultants) in relation to an MBO.
- Nick advised the shareholders of Henley Bridge Ingredients Limited (one of the largest distributors in the UK of high-end ingredients to chocolatiers and others in the food service industry) to the parent company of Kent Foods.
- Nick has recently advised on a number of demergers by way of a share capital reduction.
- Nick has advised Watts Farms (suppliers of fresh produce to restaurants and supermarkets) on a number of corporate and commercial transactions.
- Nick was part of the team advising on a 25-year PFI project for the management of Portsmouth City's highway network, then going on a part-time secondment at the client's premises to offer on-site advice.
Types of client
Nick acts for a full range of corporate clients, from owner-managed businesses to large private companies.
Achievements & other appointments
Nick has been ranked in his field in the independent guide to UK law firms, Chambers UK, as a leader in his field in Corporate/M&A since 2006. He is hailed "as a strong practitioner, whom people have a lot of respect for." (Chambers UK 2020).
Nick was raised and schooled in Hong Kong. He returned to the UK to attend university and achieved both a BA (Law and Accounting) Joint Hons Degree and an LLM (International Business Law) Degree at Manchester University.
Nick joined Thomson Snell & Passmore as a trainee in 1997 and qualified as a solicitor in 1999. He was appointed as a partner in 2008.
Nick is married and lives in Tunbridge Wells. His interests include indie music, football, cricket and any other sport with balls.