Specialisms & expertise
- Professional negligence disputes, particularly those arising from complex property transactions and from the administration of estates
- Contentious probate disputes, claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 and disputes relating to the administration of trusts and estates
- Regulatory disputes in the fields of planning, compulsory purchase, environmental, health and safety and competition law – including planning and enforcement appeals, judicial reviews and handling investigations/prosecutions for breaches of planning/listed building/environmental legislation.
Client stories & examples of work
- Acting for The Royal British Legion in the Court of Appeal where important guidance was given on procedures and costs in judicial review cases:  EWCA Civ 1583
- A professional negligence claim arising from the failure to commence a significant Inheritance Act claim before the expiry of the limitation period
- The defence of a high value professional negligence claim (settlement details confidential) arising from the purchase of residential property which was later found to have been built on the edge of a former landfill site; the land was severely contaminated and in need of an extensive remediation scheme
- A £0.6 million compulsory purchase compensation claim in the Lands Tribunal, relating to the compensation payable upon the acquisition of land, which included a former quarry, for the Channel Tunnel Rail Link, in which ground breaking aspects of planning law were involved
- A high value claim arising from a conditional contract for the sale of surplus land by an NHS Trust for development purposes.
Achievements & other appointments
Nick is a member of the Professional Negligence Lawyers Association (PNLA).
Nick is acknowledged in leading independent guide to UK law firms, Chambers UK, with clients commending his “crystal clear analysis of the law”. He is praised in the 2011 edition for his ability to “communicate in layman’s language” and for “his appreciation of commercial business drivers”.
In 2008 Nick became the Head of the Dispute Resolution team. The team’s lawyers are praised in Chambers UK 2009 for their “prompt, clear and effective responses”.