Specialisms & expertise:
- Media and communication disputes, including defamation (libel and slander) and privacy claims
- Reputation management, including working with PR agents as part of a wider reputation management strategy
- Harassment and misuse of private information claims
- Applying for and resisting injunction applications
- High value debt recovery
- Contractual disputes
- Company disputes involving shareholders, partners and directors
- Insolvency disputes
- Professional negligence claims, including claims against Solicitors and Accountants
- International and domestic commercial disputes, which are often complex, high value and sometimes with a multi-jurisdictional element
Rico also has expertise in various forms of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR), including UNCITRAL international arbitration proceedings, ad-hoc arbitration proceedings and mediation.
Client stories & examples of work
- Representing a further education college and successfully, at the first attempt, securing undertakings from the Defendant to refrain from making any further harassing, intimidating and defamatory statements, or from trespassing on the college’s premises in the future.
- Representing a leading construction company to pursue defamation proceedings and securing undertakings from the Defendant to cease and desist from making any further harassing, intimidating or defamatory statements, together with an apology to the directors of our client.
- Representing a leading design and manufacturing company in respect of prospective defamation proceedings threatened against it, and negotiating the withdrawal of the threats.
- Acting for a Claimant to stop and unmask the perpetrators behind a campaign of online harassment via Facebook; successfully obtaining an urgent injunction to stop the harassment and secure the details of the perpetrator behind the campaign of harassment. Subsequently assisting the Crown Prosecution Service with the information gathered from the civil matter, to pursue criminal proceedings against the perpetrators.
- Successfully resisting winding up proceedings commenced against a leading construction company.
- Acting for the Defendant in a professional negligence claim in respect of alleged negligent tax advice with the pleaded quantum running to many millions of pounds. The judgment established important principles as to whether an advisor who gives correct advice about the construction of statute is nevertheless negligent if they do not provide more than a "general health warning" that they might be wrong. Successfully defended the claim at trial which was subsequently appealed to the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
- Representing a leading housing association in the South East of England in respect of prospective breach of contract proceedings, and negotiating a successful settlement.
- Acting for the successful Respondent in a multi-million pound international arbitration involving allegations of breach of contract and bad faith.
- Acting for the creditor company in recovering a portfolio of debts from hundreds of debtors, involving the use of many different enforcement methods most appropriate and effective.
Types of client
Rico works with a wide range of domestic and international clients, including large companies, charities, education establishments, high-profile media personalities and local individuals and businesses.
Achievements & other appointments
Rico is recognised by the Legal 500 as a ‘key lawyer’. Rico is part of the firm’s Dispute Resolution team that is praised by clients in the Legal 500 and Chambers guides for being “an exceptional team” with “a client-centred ethos and commitment to good service”.
Rico graduated with a degree in Law and completed the Legal Practice Course at London Metropolitan University in 2012. Rico went on to join a niche litigation firm where he successfully completed his training contract in 2014. Rico joined Thomson Snell & Passmore’s Dispute Resolution department in 2018. Rico is fluent in written and spoken Greek.