Specialisms & expertise
• Advising on and preparing applications to the Court of Protection
• Day-to-day contact with individuals who lack capacity or have suffered an acquired brain injury and their families and care teams. Many of these individuals are very vulnerable
• Working closely with the team’s Deputies in relation to the ongoing management of our client’s finances
• Financial management and detailed budgeting for high value Personal Injury/Medical Negligence damages awards
• Providing detailed information on the client’s finances with a view to arranging investment advice
• Liaising with the Benefit Agency with regard to applications for benefits which the client may be entitled
• Liaising with case managers and other professionals involved in the client’s care to establish the appropriate care regime
• Preparation of annual accounts for submission to the Office of the Public Guardian.
Ruth previously worked as the Contracts Manager in the in-house legal department of a luxury department store. Ruth joined Thomson Snell & Passmore on a year long maternity contract as a Legal Secretary in June 2015, before becoming Legal Assistant in the brain injury department of the Court of Protection team in September 2016.
Ruth is studying law through the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEX). Ruth has recently completed the CILEX Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice and is now working towards the Level 3 Diploma in Law and Practice.
As part of her Court of Protection work Ruth has taken on a number of clients who suffer from acquired brain injury, dealing with the day to day management.