Specialisms & expertise
- Sonia has vast experience in court of protection matters as a senior caseworker, paralegal and senior legal assistant. Sonia’s experience covers a wide range of court of protection matters including:
- Preparing and submitting applications to the Court of Protection to appoint a deputy, for both professional deputies and lay deputies.
- Advising on applications to appoint a deputy.
- Managing deputy cases day to day where there are complex care regimes involved.
- Managing intensive cases where there are large damages awards and high value transactions to organise.
- Making Statutory Will applications to the Court of Protection and dealing with the Official Solicitor in the process.
- Day to day Managing deputyships for a wide range of individuals, both children and adults, with varying levels of brain injury.
- Managing day to day matters on minors’ trusts in conjunction with the professional trustee.
- Working in union with clients, their family and friends to facilitate the best care for the client.
- Handling cases where the client is resident overseas.
- Working in close coordination with personal injury and clinical negligence lawyers, case managers, care teams and other professionals involved in the client’s care.
- Engaging with investment advisors and asset management companies for professional financial advice on appropriate financial planning.
- Advising on client’s eligibility for benefits and liaising with the Benefit Agency to ensure appropriate benefits are claimed.
Client stories & examples of work
- Guiding clients and their families through the process of the appointment of a professional deputy.
- Supporting clients and their families through the progression of their litigation while also providing litigation solicitors with assistance for the deputy aspect of the claim when required.
- Developing and managing budgets, with a view to ensuring client has the maximum input and autonomy possible within the given set of circumstances.
- Dealing with property purchases and adaptations.
- Preparing annual accounts to submit to the Office of the Public Guardian.
- Constantly reviewing the position of the client and proactively working towards getting an order to discharge the deputy in cases where the client has been assessed as having regained capacity.
Achievements & other appointments
Sonia is part of a large and dedicated team at Thomson Snell & Passmore, which is acknowledged by the Legal 500 as 'definitely one of the best Court of Protection teams in the country', with 'huge experience over a number of years' and 'still well ahead of the game'.
- Sonia graduated from The University of Westminster as a mature student with a degree in Law in 2000. She went on to complete the Legal Practice Course at BPP Law School in London. From 2001 to 2011 Sonia worked at a small solicitor’s firm in Lincoln’s Inn as a secretary dealing with commercial litigation. Sonia then moved on to a national Court of Protection practice, based in London from 2012 to 2018. Sonia joined Thomson Snell & Passmore in December 2020 as a Senior Legal Assistant in the Court of Protection Department.