Specialisms & expertise
- Divorce, judicial separation and dissolution of Civil Partnerships
- Issues in respect of children, including parental responsibility, deciding with whom a child should live, deciding how often a child should spend time with a parent and re-location (national and international)
- All financial aspects of a relationship breakdown
- Collaborative law
- Family mediation
- Prenuptial and Postnuptial agreements
- Advice and agreements for cohabiting couples
- Issues between former cohabitees
- Domestic violence, including applications for non-molestation and occupation orders
Client stories & examples of work
- I have been very impressed and satisfied with all aspects of Thomson Snell & Passmore’s service. I was particularly grateful for the thoughtful, meticulous and excellent advice provided by Desmond O’DonnellI have found both Una and Desmond very professional, knowledgeable and understanding people. It is good to deal with 'humans' when having to work on personal documentation.
Achievements & other appointments
Desmond has a wealth of experience in dealing with families in difficulty and in seeking to resolve their problems constructively.
Desmond is a member of Resolution and is a Resolution trained mediator and collaborative lawyer. In addition, he has passed the Californian Bar examinations and completed a Los Angeles mediation course.
Desmond was a member of the Lord Chancellor’s International Child Abduction Panel and the English Law Society’s representative on the National Victim Support Working Party on Domestic Violence. He was involved in preparing a paper for the Lord Chancellor’s Department concerning domestic violence.
Desmond is acknowledged in leading independent guide to UK law firms, Chambers UK as a leader in his field. He is praised in the 2013 edition for his “good response times, good knowledge and sympathetic treatment”. In the 2012 edition he is applauded as a 'sensible and talented lawyer'. Clients say 'he has a very good understanding of the human aspect of work and is terribly professional'.
Desmond graduated from the University of Kent in Canterbury where he obtained an Honours Degree in Law. He studied for and took his solicitors’ examinations through the College of Law. He was admitted as a solicitor in December 1985.
From 1983-1997 he worked in London, spending the last 10 years of this with Bindman & Partners. From 1997-1999 he worked in Los Angeles and from 1999 until 2005 he worked in Northern Ireland, in a specialist family law firm.