Specialisms & expertise
- Advice and assistance in all areas of planning law including disputes, judicial reviews, lawful development certificates, applications for planning consent, appeals against refusals, enforcement notices and s288 / s289 challenges in the High Court
- Listed Building and Conservation Area advice
- Drafting planning agreements to support applications for permission
- Advice on the application and interpretation of the Community Infrastructure Levy Regulations 2010
- Advice on Local Plans, neighbourhood planning policies and strategic infrastructure
- Advice regarding representations to local authorities, for decision-taking and plan-making
- Criminal litigation in planning matters (enforcement action)
- Agriculture & rural affairs.
Client stories & examples of work
Acting for Local Planning Authorities in the provision of advice relating to their exercise of regulatory powers and duties relating to planning.
Advising at Planning (Development Control) Committees across mid-Kent (Swale, Maidstone, Tunbridge Wells and Sevenoaks).
Drafting and negotiating complex multi-party section 106 agreements for key/strategic medium and large mixed development sites in West Kent.
Successful objection to development’s prior planning approval.
Advice on planning use results in successful purchase.
Enforcement prosecution successfully dropped by Local Planning Authority against our client.
Assistance in appealing refused planning permission.
Application for Certificate of Lawful Use in preparation for sale of residential home.
Kate obtained a BA (Hons) in Management and Public Policy at Brighton University, a Post-graduate Diploma in Law and the Common Professional Examination at The College of Law, London.
After completing her training at a niche West End law firm, qualifying in September 2005, she established herself as a planning specialist in the public sector, most notably as Team Leader for Mid Kent Legal Services which provides advice for three local authorities in Kent, heading up a team of planning solicitors, and in 2017 achieving the position as one of the highest ranking local authority planning solicitors in the country.
Kate joined Thomson Snell & Passmore in 2018 Her insight into the workings of Local Planning Authorities and other regulatory bodies has proved invaluable in assessing her client’s needs and demands and acting with pragmatism and efficiency to negotiate this complex area of law.