Specialisms & expertise
- Advice and assistance in all areas of planning law including disputes, judicial reviews, lawful development certificates, applications for planning consent, appeals against refusals, enforcement notices and s288 / s289 challenges in the High Court
- Listed Building and Conservation Area advice
- Drafting planning agreements to support applications for permission
- Advice on the application and interpretation of the Community Infrastructure Levy Regulations 2010
- Advice on Local Plans, neighbourhood planning policies and strategic infrastructure
- Advice regarding representations to local authorities, for decision-taking and plan-making
- Criminal litigation in planning matters (enforcement action).
Client stories & examples of work
Acting for a variety of local authorities in the provision of advice relating to their exercise of regulatory powers and their duties relating to planning.
Advising in situ at Planning (Development Control) Committees across mid-Kent (Swale, Maidstone, Tunbridge Wells and Sevenoaks).
Drafting and negotiating complex multi-party section 106 agreements for key/strategic medium and large mixed development sites in West Kent.
Achievements & other appointments
Kate was placed in the Top 5 Local Authority Planning Solicitors in a nationwide industry-based survey in 2017
After training at West End construction firm, Beale & Company LLP, qualifying in 2005, Kate established herself as a planning solicitor in the public sector, most notably as Team Leader for Mid Kent Legal Services which provides advice for three local authorities in Kent, heading up a team of planning solicitors, and achieving her position as one of the highest ranking local authority planning solicitors in the country.
Kate arrived at Thomson Snell & Passmore in 2018, directly from Sevenoaks District Council where she was the principal planning solicitor for the authority. She also advised occasionally on environmental cases and member standards and conduct issues.