Specialisms & expertise
- Tax planning
- Wills and estate planning
- The administration of estates
- Powers of Attorney.
Client stories & examples of work
- Advising on all aspects of inheritance tax, including arrangements to minimise potential tax liabilities
- Capital gains tax planning, including advice on how to make the best use of the main residence relief and other exemptions
- Advising on other taxes, such as stamp duty land tax and pre-owned assets tax
- Dealing with the administration of complex estates, including those with overseas assets and business/agricultural interests
- Post-death tax planning, particularly involving Deeds of Variation, which have resulted in significant tax savings
- Advising on the creation, administration and termination of trusts, including tax implications
- Estate planning, including the preparation of wills and advice relating to lifetime gifts.
Achievements & other appointments
Mark is also a chartered tax adviser, which is regarded as the pre-eminent UK tax qualification.
Mark has written articles for the legal and financial press and given presentations regarding inheritance tax planning.
The Private Client team is ranked in the top tier for South East England by The Legal 500, an independent guide to UK law firms. The team has also been names by eprivateclient in its list of the 'Top 25 Law Firms'
Mark trained at a City firm and qualified as a solicitor in 1992. He subsequently spent over eight years at another London firm, where he was a partner and head of the Trusts and Estates Department. Mark joined Thomson Snell & Passmore in December 2001.