Specialisms & expertise
Oliver specialises in clinical negligence and personal injury litigation.
His clinical negligence experience involves a wide range of areas including general practice, obstetrics, gynaecology, neonatology, orthopaedic and spinal surgery, urology, nephrology, general surgery, ophthalmology, accident and emergency, care of the elderly, dentistry and pressure sores.
His personal injury work includes all aspects of occupiers' and employers' liability, road traffic accidents, highway, sports injury and Animals Act cases and harassment in the workplace. A number of his clients have suffered brain, multiple orthopaedic and psychiatric injuries.
Oliver is part of the firm’s asbestos and chemical poisoning team and specialises in mesothelioma claims.
Client stories & examples of work
- Following a three day High Court trial, Oliver successfully established that BT was primarily liable for the injuries sustained by Mr Milroy when, during the course of his employment, his head came into contact with an overhead high voltage power line (Ian Andrew Milroy (a protected party by his litigation friend Sharon Maria Milroy) -v- BT plc  EWHC 532 (QB)).
- £275,000 for a retired instrument mechanic who developed mesothelioma having been exposed to asbestos whilst working at a Maidstone paper mill.
- £80,000 for a claimant who suffered a major blood vessel injury during a routine laparoscopy for endometriosis.
- £100,000 for a passenger in a road traffic accident which resulted in multiple orthopaedic injuries, PTSD and depression.
- £85,000 for a claimant who suffered facial scarring and psychiatric injuries when he was attacked by a golden retriever dog.
- "We really appreciated the way you kept us informed of events and replied so quickly to queries, always in such a courteous manner."
- "We are very grateful to you for your hard work, your sensitivity in dealing with some frequently painful material, and the consistent lucidity with which you have kept us informed of the different stages of the claim."
- "In all the steps along the way you so clearly enabled me to understand the procedure, always so very pleasant to deal with and speak to and so very patient."
- "Very professional, removed the pressure from a stressful situation and allowed me to concentrate on my recovery."
- “I just wanted to thank you for all your support… As well as being very professional, I appreciated the long conversations we had; it was good to know that I had someone who was so supportive behind me.”
Achievements & other appointments
Oliver is an accredited member of the Law Society’s personal injury scheme and the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL).
Oliver obtained an honours degree in history from the University of Sheffield before completing the Graduate Diploma in Law and the Legal Practice Course. Before joining Thomson Snell & Passmore in 2007, Oliver spent several years working as a carer for both children and adults with special needs.