- Managing Deputyships for a wide range of individuals, with particular involvement in cases concerning high value damages awards for individuals with severe acquired brain injuries
- Working closely with the Deputy in relation to the ongoing management of the client’s finances
- Monitoring cash flow through bank accounts and statements, checking credits and debits and identifying any anomalies for further investigation
- Maintaining regular contact with vulnerable individuals who lack capacity or have suffered an acquired brain injury, their families, case managers and care teams
- Working closely with personal injury and clinical negligence lawyers, case managers and care teams and all other professionals involved in the client’s care, to establish the appropriate care regime and advise how the client’s funds should be spent
- Advising on and preparing applications to the Court of Protection
- Preparing annual accounts for submission to the Office of the Public Guardian
- Liaising with benefit agencies with regards to applications for benefits to which the client may be entitled
- Liaising with Local Authorities regarding direct payment applications
- Liaising with investment advisors and providing detailed information on the client’s finances, with a view to investing the client’s funds into a long-term investment portfolio
- Working in the client’s best interests.
Achievements & other appointments
The Private Client team provides a full range of private client services and is recognised by Chambers UK for its “niche expertise in acting for vulnerable or incapacitated clients”.
The Court of Protection team specifically were recently named by the Legal 500 as a “Firm of the Year” stating that the team “stands out for the sheer breadth and sophistication of its practice”. They have retained their rank in Band 1 in Chambers UK 2023 and Legal 500.
The team collectively manage over 250 Deputyships.
Sophie is also a member of the Kent Junior Lawyer Division.
Sophie is currently studying the CILEX Professional Qualification Foundation stage.