- Nick is experienced in handling all aspects of employment law, but particularly advising employee and employee clients on:
- Complex, highly confidential, sensitive and difficult business restructuring exercises
- Performance, misconduct and loss of confidence issues
- Internal investigation, disciplinary, appeals and grievance procedures
- TUPE and issues relating to varying terms and conditions of employment, including pay and conditions
- Employment tribunal claims featuring: Unfair and Constructive Dismissal, unlawful withholding of wages, whistleblowing claims, discrimination claims
- Restraint of trade and confidentiality disputes
- Employment status including IR35
- Contract and policy documentation
- Breach of GDPR and data subject access request disclosures.
- Nick also advises education settings on disputes including:
- Parental complaints
- Special Educational Needs Tribunal featuring Discrimination claims
- Disputes between members and trustees in academy trusts.
- Nick also advises charity and not for profit organisations on:
- Trustee disputes.
Advising on allegations of bullying
Advising on unfair dismissal and disability claims
Advising on whistleblowing claims
Advising on the disciplinary process for employee
Advising on the disciplinary process for teaching staff
Advising on a complex business restructuring exercises
Achievements & other appointments
Nick has consistently been ranked for the last 15 years Chambers Legal Directory and listed in The Legal 500 as a Leading Individual and in the Hall of Fame and he is listed as one of the elite “leading lawyers” in his field. Clients surveyed in Chambers says of him: “Nick is always available and provides practical solutions”
He is an ACAS accredited internal workplace mediator.
Nick has led the firm’s support of the Association of Chairs (of charities and other 3rd sector organisations) through delivery of the expert insight sessions on employment issues for chairs and vice chairs of voluntary sector organisations and corporate governance issues for charities and their trustees, delivering presentations and answering questions during regular online sessions.
Nick gained his Law degree LLP (Hons) at Anglia Ruskin University in 1982 and passed the Legal Professional exams in 1987.
He qualified as a solicitor in February 1989. Nick completed his training contract at a mid-size regional law firm in Reading and Swindon and joined Thomson Snell & Passmore LLP in May 2002 as a partner and has held the Head of Department position since then.
Nick has served on the Management Board from 2008 to 2012 and served as a trustee of Hillview School for Girls from 2015 to 2022.