Specialisms and expertise
- Inheritance tax, capital gains tax and estate planning for individuals and families
- Wills and trusts
- Estate and trust administration
- Powers of attorney
Client stories & examples of work
- Estate and tax planning through Wills and various types of lifetime gift, including settlements and investment-based schemes
- Creation, modification and termination of family trusts
- Trust arrangements for life and pension policies
- Bespoke co-ownership agreements for residential property
- Will preparation and probate for foreign domiciliaries
- Cross border estate administration
- Advice on a broad range of trust and succession issues.
Types of client
- Individuals with assets that need protecting and passing on within the family, including business owners and senior company executives
- Trustees and executors
- Beneficiaries of trusts and estates
Stuart graduated from the University of Edinburgh in 1986 with a First Class honours degree in History, before going on to take the Common Professional and Final Examinations at the College of Law in Guildford. He joined Thomson Snell & Passmore in 1988 and qualified as a solicitor in 1990, becoming a member of the Private Client team that year.
Stuart was made a partner in 2001, having been admitted to the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners in 1995. He has been heading the Trust Management team since 2012.
The quality of the Private Client team has been recognised in Thomson Snell & Passmore’s recent ranking as a “Top 25 Law Firm” by Private Client Practitioner magazine. The team’s position as a leading player in the field of specialist Private Client advice in the South-East of England has been endorsed by the UK’s independent legal guides Chambers UK and Legal 500.