Education lawyers providing quality advice to the education sector
Our team of qualified education lawyers has substantial experience in providing legal advice for a wide variety of education sector clients, ranging from independent schools and academy trusts to maintained schools and further education colleges. This ensures that our school lawyers are able to give you the right advice on all matters concerning education law.
Our education law experts understand the importance to education businesses of being able to continue with their day-to-day task of educating children. The education lawyers at Thomson Snell & Passmore have been praised by clients for providing a meticulous and professional service which gives school leadership teams the reassurance they need to do just that. We don't have a one-size-fits-all approach. Instead, our education lawyers invest time in getting to know the culture and organisation of each education establishment. The education legal team works with you to provide tailored, commercial advice.
Recent examples of how our school lawyers have helped our education clients include:
Corporate and Commercial
- A wide range of commercial contracts including (but not limited to) supply agreements, service level agreements, outsourcing agreements and IT contracts
- Data protection issues including database rights and management, freedom of information requests, privacy policies and data security
- Corporate governance issues following conversion to academy status, with a particular focus on directors’ duties and the corporate decision-making process
- Charity law matters including trustees’ duties, conflicts of interest, incorporating charitable companies and creating subsidiary structures and charity administration/governance and constitutional issues.
- Reviewing and advising on existing property arrangements
- Granting both long and short term leases or licences to third parties who require space to provide extra-curricular activities or outside clubs
- Acquiring land to expand the existing grounds or facilities
- Disposing of redundant land or buildings by way of straightforward sale or by a more complex arrangement to enhance the sale value; and advising on planning arrangements for new build projects.
Where education disputes arise, our school lawyers have extensive experience in resolving these and ensuring minimal disruption to day-to-day business. We advise on:
- Contract disputes with suppliers and trade partners
- Regulatory compliance and litigation avoidance
- Intellectual property matters including brand protection, exploitation, and reputational issues
- Health & safety and criminal investigations, prosecutions, and inquests.
Our employment dispute resolution experience includes:
- Managing disciplinary, school grievance procedure and other internal staffing issues
- Managing dismissals
- Carrying out negotiations and preparing settlement agreements
- Defending Employment Tribunal claims, ranging from unfair dismissal and discrimination to whistle blowing claims
- Defending breach of contract claims.
- The project documentation necessary for any construction works
- Major capital investment in new buildings or refurbishment works
- Arrangements necessary to provide ongoing protection in the event of asset transfers, restructuring, or the creation of new academies
- Bespoke standard terms for routine/minor works focused on the institution’s specific operational requirements
- Providing project support to facilitate the construction process and resolve issues that arise during the works.
Where disputes arise, we have extensive experience in construction dispute resolution for our education sector clients.
Get in touch.
For more information on the education sector or to speak to an education lawyer at Thomson Snell & Passmore contact us today.
Alternatively, you can read our frequently asked questions on education-related legal matters here; FAQ - Education.