Contact one of our specialist lawyers for a free initial consultation to find out if we can investigate your case with the financial security of a no win no fee agreement.
If you or someone you know has been affected by a brain injury then please read our brain injury care guide. We have created this practical guide on what to do and where to seek help and guidance based on our specialist knowledge and client service.
Compensation claims for acquired and traumatic brain injury (ABI and TBI)
A brain injury can have a major long-term impact on the life of the sufferer and often on their friends and family. Ensuring the right amount of compensation is paid can give someone access to the support they need throughout their lives and ease the care load for loved ones.
Compensation plays an important part in the recovery process since it can enable better treatment and more rehabilitation than would be available on the NHS. Rehabilitation may not reverse the effects of a brain injury but it can speed up and improve someone's recovery. It will also give the injured person the ability to find coping strategies that work for them to reduce the impact of ongoing symptoms, such as memory problems.
What compensation can you claim following a brain injury?
Additional to the compensation that can be recovered at the conclusion of the personal injury claim, money can be requested during the course of the claim to fund rehabilitation as well as:
- Compensation can be due for physical or psychological damage or both
- You can claim compensation for the pain and suffering caused by your injuries and the things you need as a result of your brain injury
- You can also claim compensation for financial loss. For example, for loss of earnings.
The amount of compensation depends on:
- The seriousness of the brain injury
- The extent the financial loss
- The support required for the future.
To read a few examples of clients we have helped we have put together summary of our cases: Brain injury case summary.
Getting specialist legal support for brain injury
The symptoms of acquired brain injury are unique to each individual. They can include problems with memory, concentration, speech, mobility, and personality and behavioural changes. A range of specialist medics is needed to properly assess the injuries for the purposes of the claim.
This kind of compensation claim is complex and requires a personal injury lawyer with specialist experience in the area of brain injuries and an understanding of the ongoing implications for people’s lives.
How our personal injury lawyers can help with a brain injury compensation claims
- Our team has many years experience and specialist knowledge pursuing claims for adults and children who have suffered brain injuries.
- Our department and lawyers are highly ranked by two of the most prestigious independent guides to the legal profession "Chambers and Partners" and "The Legal 500", so you will always have an industry expert dealing with your case.
- The breadth of experience in our personal injury team means it is likely that we have already recovered compensation in similar circumstances to yours.
- We actively support and are on the approved lawyer lists of Headway (the national charity for adults with brain injury) and the Child Brain Injury Trust.
- We are approved UKABIF lawyers. Many of our lawyers are involved in KABIF (Kent Brain Injury Forum), a regional group of UKABIF.
- We work in a supportive, considered and clear way, and are dedicated to achieving the best possible outcome to secure our clients’ long-term welfare.
- We can help you with applications to the Court of Protection for appointing a deputy to manage the money of someone who has suffered brain injury or for setting up a personal injury trust.
Free initial consultation
Contact our team of specialist personal injury lawyers for a free, no obligation, consultation and we will listen to the circumstances of your accident before giving you clear advice on the chance of you recovering compensation. If we think you have a claim we can investigate your case using the financial security of a no win no fee agreement.